Congratulations! – Dr. Heather Scott, RCP’s Obstetrical Clinical Advisor is the recipient of the 2019 Faculty of Medicine Award for Excellence: Dr. Allan Cohen Memorial Award in Community Service. Join us in sending warm congratulations to Dr. Scott in receipt of this well-deserved award and in recognition of her outstanding contributions.
RCP’s Coding Corner – RCP extends a huge “Thank you” to Health Information Specialists who’ve worked hard to meet the deadline for data submission to CIHI and also timely submission of the RCP data. To date, all facilities have submitted fiscal 2018-19 data and we appreciate the important part Health Information Specialists play in keeping the NSAPD up to date. The data is utilized for clinical, quality improvement and research. Projects include annual Mortality and Morbidity facility visits, monitoring of standards, resource planning, quality initiatives, and research on both provincial and national levels. Sending a KUDOS as we recognize their ongoing commitment through attention to detail and data quality!
Lyme Disease in Pregnancy – Health Care Provider Key Messages: - Tick season is once again upon us, and along with it are heightened concerns about contracting Lyme disease. RCP has collaborated with experts in Infectious Disease and Public Health to create contemporary key messages for health professionals working with pregnant women at risk, or who may have been exposed. The key messages address prevention, prophylaxis, testing, and treatment. See the RCP Website for more information.
For more information about Lyme disease, refer to the following websites:
Cochrane Collaboration Podcast – The Cochrane Pregnancy and Childbirth Group has produced several hundred reviews on the effects of interventions during the perinatal period. They have also assessed the evidence on how to help after pregnancy loss. A review from December 2018 looks at care during pregnancies following a stillbirth. Interventions for improving outcomes in pregnancies that follow stillbirth
Canadian Public Health Association Recorded Cannabis Webinars:
Recent Publications of Interest – Several publications have been recently released and are now available for your review. Several titles with links have been provided below for your information and reading enjoyment:
- JOGC - Impact of Audits and Multifaceted Intervention on Vaginal Birth After Caesarean: Secondary Analysis of the QUARISMA Trial
- JOGC - Cannabis Abuse or Dependence During Pregnancy: A Population-Based Cohort Study on 12 Million Births
- JOGC - Temporal Variations in Incidence and Outcomes of Critical Illness Among Pregnant and Postpartum Women in Canada: A Population-Based Observational Study
- JOGC - Recommendations From a National Panel on Quality Improvement in Obstetrics
- JOGC - Canadian Pregnant Women's Preferences Regarding NIPT for Down Syndrome: The Information They Want, How They Want to Get It, and With Whom They Want to Discuss It
- JOGC - Wound Disruption Following Caesarean Delivery in Women With Class III Obesity: A Retrospective Observational Study
- JOGC - Water Birth Maternal and Neonatal Outcomes Among Midwifery Clients in Alberta, Canada, from 2014 to 2017: A Retrospective Study
- JOGC - Clinical Practice Guideline: No. 380-Investigation and Management of Prenatally Identified Microcephaly
- JOGC - Clinical Practice Guideline: No. 381-Assisted Vaginal Birth
Canadian Pediatric Society: Position Statement - Universal access to no-cost contraception for youth in Canada
Feel free to forward/share the RCP’s e-News with your colleagues.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact the RCP office at email@example.com.
Manage your RCP e-News subscriptions