About this Session: This session may appeal to providers practicing in Labour and Birth Units in facilities with an active Maternal Newborn Service, as well as others with a specific interest in supportive care in labour.
- Explore the nature of pain throughout the stages of labour.
- Describe factors that contribute to the experience of pain in labour, as well as factors that facilitate coping.
- Increase understanding of the impact of pain and/or suffering on labour progress.
- Increase understanding of the principles of supportive care in labour and its related benefits.
- Identify and demonstrate supportive methods of pain relief used during labour that may also facilitate labour progress.