Leptospirosis is a bacterial infection caused by the bacteria Leptospira. The bacteria affects the liver and kidneys and is spread through contact with water, soil or food contaminated by urine from an infected animal. Over the past few months, veterinarians have confirmed a number of cases of Leptospirosis in dogs within Nova Scotia. While the risk of transmission from dogs to humans is low, an algorithm has been created to provide guidance to care providers in the event a suspected or actual exposure occurs.