Chapter 3: Family-Centred Maternity and Newborn Care: National Guidelines - The Public Health Agency of Canada has released updated guidelines: Care during Pregnancy, of the Family-Centred Maternity and Newborn Care. The guidelines are dedicated to improving and creating consistency in maternal and newborn health and to inform evidence-based practice across Canada. The aim of the guidelines is to positively impact health from preconception to postpartum, and throughout the life course of children, women and families.
Infant Rotavirus Vaccine Considerations – The rotavirus vaccine has been added to Nova Scotia’s publicly funded childhood immunization program. Babies born on or after November 1, 2019 are eligible to receive this vaccine orally, starting at 2 months of age. Since rotavirus vaccine is a live attenuated vaccine, there may be implications for babies whose mothers are on biologic monoclonal antibodies. The exception is babies whose mothers are taking certolizumab or Cimzia (no implications with this medication). If you have questions, you may contact the IWK Special Immunization Clinic by e-mail at email@example.com or by calling Karen Branscombe at 902-470-7859. A referral form for consultation is available at this link.
New NSHA Resource – A new patient resource: ‘Eye Infections in Newborns Caused by Gonorrhea and Chlamydia’ has been recently developed. This resource will serve as an information source for women and their families regarding newborn eye infections caused from Gonorrhea and Chlamydia. This resource is available on the NSHA website and can also be ordered from the Dalhousie Print Shop using the associated print code provided. Title - ‘Eye Infections in Newborns Caused by Gonorrhea and Chlamydia’ – print code WP85-2050. Instructions for ordering print copies from Dal print shop can be found here: https://library.nshealth.ca/Pamphlets
Canadian Fetal Health Surveillance Steering Committee Newsletter – The Canadian FHS Steering Committee is excited to share the 2020 FHS Instructor Newsletter. The newsletter will be posted to the FHS Instructor Portal on the UBC CPD website. Feel free to share it with your FHS Instructor colleagues! Highlights included in this edition:
- Canadian FHS Education Program Overview
- Fundamentals of FHS Manual and Exam Update
- FHS Refresher Workshop
- Canadian FHS Instructor Portal
- SOGC Clinical Practice Guideline: Intrapartum FHS
- Question and Answer – Baseline Variability
- Resources of Interest
SOGC Statement on the Novel Coronavirus – SOGC’s Infectious Disease Committee has released a statement on the Novel Coronavirus. The SOGC Committee will continue to follow the outbreak and provide its members and the obstetric community with updates as more information is gathered. Read the full Committee statement on the SOGC website.
Recent Publications of Interest – Several publications have been recently released and are now available for your review. The titles with links have been provided below for your information and reading enjoyment:
- JOGC - Review of Stillbirth in a Canadian Tertiary Care Centre
- JOGC - Water Birth and Perinatal Outcomes in British Columbia: A Retrospective Cohort Study
- JOGC - Neighborhood Income and Risk of Having an Infant With Concomitant Preterm Birth and Severe Small for Gestational Age Birth Weight
- JOGC – Case Study: Myometrial Defect in a Subsequent Pregnancy After Uterine Artery Embolization for Postpartum Hemorrhage, in the Absence of Leiomyomas or Previous Uterine Surgery
- JOGC – Review Article: Classical Cesarean: What Are the Maternal and Infant Risks Compared With Low Transverse Cesarean in Preterm Birth, and Subsequent Uterine Rupture? A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
- JOGC Clinical Practice Guideline (revision) - Guideline No. 395-Female Genital Cutting
- Breastfeeding Medicine - Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative Is Associated with Lower Rates of Neonatal Hyperbilirubinemia
- Breastfeeding Medicine - ABM Clinical Protocol #32: Management of Hyperlactation
- Breastfeeding Medicine - Management of Cannabis Use in Breastfeeding Women: The Untapped Potential of International Board Certified Lactation Consultants
- AJOC - Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and Pregnancy: What obstetricians need to know
- Sage Journals - Connecting With Adolescent Mothers: Perspectives of Hospital-Based Perinatal Nurses
Feel free to forward/share the RCP’s e-News with your colleagues.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact the RCP office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Manage your RCP e-News subscriptions