RCP Coding Corner:
Critical Congenital Heart Disease (CCHD) - Information about newborn pulse oximetry screening for CCHD is collected from two RCP permanent health record forms: RCP/08 – Newborn Admission/Discharge Form and RCP/09 – Newborn Nursing Assessment. These documentation forms serve as a source for health record coders to enter information into the NS Atlee Perinatal Database (NSAPD), and also act as prompts to guide care providers through the screening process, assist in meeting documentation requirements, and improve communication among hospital and community primary care providers who care for the newborn. RCP understands that all facilities may not currently be using the RCP forms for documentation of CCHD screening and follow up. If you are presently using a different documentation form, or an electronic documentation system, RCP would be happy to work with you to ensure that the documentation fields align with the information entered into the NSAPD, and coders are directed to the most appropriate place in the permanent health record to find the CCHD screening information.
Provincial Syphilis Outbreak – On January 20, 2020 the Office of the Chief Medical Officer of Health for Nova Scotia has declared a provincial syphilis outbreak. Across Canada syphilis outbreaks have been declared in most provinces/territories, due to increasing rates of infection. Changes to recommendations for pregnant women and newborns are outlined in the documents available on the RCP website.
The symposium – “Beyond the Ten Steps: Critical Connections for Transformative Change” was held in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories on October 1-3, 2019. Additional details of the symposium including: speakers, graphic recordings for each day, and key themes can be found on the BCC website.
New Website – CAPWHN is pleased to present to you their brand new refreshed and updated website. To check it out click here. CAPWHN aims to promote excellence in nursing practice, leadership, education, and research in the areas of perinatal and women’s health care. Membership offers nurses practicing in this specialty many benefits. If you’re not already a member, please consider joining CAPWHN today.
Save the Date & Call for Abstracts: CAPWHN’s Annual Clinical, Education, & Research Conference – This year’s annual conference is in Winnipeg, September 24-26, 2020 – “The meeting place: Embracing evidence-informed practice, family-centred care and cultural humility”. CAPWHN invites nurses and other health professionals in perinatal and women’s health who are members, non-members and students to submit abstracts for presentation at the 2020 CAPWHN Conference. For more information go to the CAPWHN website. Abstracts must be submitted online at https://ubc.eventsair.com/capwhn-conference/2020 no later than February 18, 2020 at midnight PT.
Recent Publications of Interest – Several publications have been recently released and are now available for your review. The titles with links have been provided below for your information and reading enjoyment:
- JOGC - Evolution of Operative Obstetric Delivery in Canada
- JOGC - Indigenous Midwifery in Canada: An Example of Healthy Relationships
- JOGC - Antenatal Fetal Assessment: 75 Years Later (1945-2019)
- JOGC - The Medico-Legal Climate in Canada: A Reflection on 75 Years for Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- JOGC - The SOGC's Involvement in International Work in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- JOGC - The SOGC Aboriginal Health Issues Committee: The Beginning
- JOGC - Implementing Obstetrics Quality Improvement, Driven by Medico-legal Risk, is Associated With Improved Workplace Culture
- JOGC - Optimal Timing of Prenatal Ultrasound in Predicting Birth Weight in Diabetic Pregnancies
- JOGC - Delivering Midwifery: A Scoping Review of Employment Models in Canada
- JOGC - Spontaneous Uterine Rupture in the Second Trimester in a Patient With Previous Pelvic Radiotherapy in Childhood: A Case Report
- JOGC Clinical Practice Guideline (revision) - No. 394-Stillbirth Investigation
- CPS - Managing pain and distress in children undergoing brief diagnostic and therapeutic procedures
- CPS - Iron requirements in the first 2 years of life
- Breastfeeding Medicine - Bedsharing and Breastfeeding: The Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine Protocol #6, Revision 2019
Feel free to forward/share the RCP’s e-News with your colleagues.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact the RCP office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Manage your RCP e-News subscriptions